07 Oct Autumn Plumbing Reminders
Posted at 08:00h in Plumbing
With fall and winter on the horizon, you and other homeowners can take these simple steps in preparation for the onset of colder weather:
- Remove hoses from outside hydrants so they drain properly during the winter.
- If you don’t have a frost-proof hydrant, drain outside faucets back into the house or blow them out with air pressure.
- Move your sump pump discharge line above ground, if it is not buried below the frost line.
- Winterize any outdoor irrigation lines/systems.
- If you are away for an extended period, turn off the water to your home and turn off the pilot to the water heater.
- Make sure the inside shut-off valves are closing properly without leaks. If any water leaks back into the drained portion of the piping, the potential for freezing exists.